2/23/09

Prayers for my family

I say prayers A LOT lately, much more than I ever have before. Isn't that good and bad all at the same time?! I pray for our country, for President Obama, for the economy, for my husband, for my kids, for our "church search," for my attitude, for my friends, for the company my husband works for. There are so many things on my mind, swirling about all the time. It is enough to drive any woman insane. I picked up this thought filter a while back and it has been a huge help to me in sorting out the things that go through my brain. Maybe it will help you too, or maybe nobody else has this same trouble?

Php 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.
Php 4:5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand;
Php 4:6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
Php 4:7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Php 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

True-Is it true? Is it true about God? Is it true about His Fatherly care for me?

Honorable-Does it honor God? Does it reflect His wonderful, kind, loving, wise and powerful character?

Just-Is it holy? Is it righteous? Is it just? Is it something the Lord Himself would think?

Pure-Does it cast doubt on God's goodness or the truth of His promises? Does it elevate my own importance or my own desires?

Lovely-Does it flow from a heart filled with tenderness and affection for the Lord? Would it bring pleasure to him?

Commendable-Is it grounded in faith? Does it exalt God's reputation?

Excellent-Does it cause me to be more fearful or does it fill my heart with courage and commitment to virtuous living?

Praiseworthy-Would the Lord commend the thoughts? Would they elevate His name or bring him glory?

Here is the kicker, you can't just go cold turkey with your thoughts, they don't just shut off by themselves simply because they don't meet the above criteria. You have to replace with them with thoughts that are true, honorable, praiseworthy...etc. For example, if you struggle with worries about the future, then memorize Proverbs 3:5, and when you have those uneasy thoughts say it over and over, until the other thoughts have gone. If you struggle with guilt, memorize 1 John 1:9, repeat it as often as necessary. Sounds easy right, HA! It isn't easy, but it is worth it.

My prayer is that we would rejoice, even in trials. That we would go to God, the Creator of the universe with our concerns. And that he would guard our hearts and fill our minds with thoughts worthy of Him.

Check out this post from Modobject at Home, as a matter of fact, just check out her whole blog. It is a very calming and peaceful place to visit.

I read just yesterday in "Let Me Be A Woman" by Elisabeth Elliot this quote:

"If you believe in a God who controls the big things,
you have to believe in a God who controls the little things.
It is we, of course, to whom things look "little" or "big"."

And she goes on to quote Amy Carmichael

"There is no great with Thee, there is no small,
For thou art all, and fillest all in all."

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I love to visit that blog, too.

Let Me Be a Woman is my all-time favorite book, hands down!!! I could have quoted that whole section to you. :)

Carrie said...

Yep, always anxious! That's me! I pray about things, but I always have to remember the difference between my time and God's time!

Beautiful post!