11/29/11

Doorposts

These are my entries for the "Write them on the Doorposts" Contest over at the Doorposts blog.

Good luck to all!

Normally this golden apple and silver dish would sit on our mantel, where we can be reminded to choose our words wisely. But our stockings are hung by the chimney with care and are displacing everything else, so it is sitting on our entry way table. The Scripture is Proverbs 25:11 "Words aptly spoken are like apples of gold in settings of silver."

Can you see the bite marks in the apple? When I went to the craft store to buy a fake apple, Jeremiah bit into it, he was so small I couldn't do anything but laugh...and then purchase it! Since then Ella has also tried to taste the forbidden fruit!



These are my salt and pepper shakers. When we go on a trip or if I wander into an antique store I always keep my eyes peeled for a pair that I like. It is a fun and inexpensive collection to build. I hung a tag with Matthew 5:13 "Ye are the salt of the earth, but if the salt have lost it's savour, wherewith shall it be salted?" It sits in my kitchen near the sink so I can think about how to spice up and flavor and preserve the world around me.



This one is "for the birds!" I like pretty little birds and I love all the references in Scripture about birds. Eagles, sparrows, and the shadow of God's wings, there are so many comforting and uplifting passages. This one is Psalm 84:3 "Even the sparrow finds a home and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young at Your altars, O LORD of Hosts, my King and my God."


And a tag to remind the littles that God knows all things, that He created them and that He loves them enough to number even the hairs on their heads! (Luke 12:7) This one is hanging on the basket with all the combs and hair accessories.



I have big plans for more tags. I'd like to hang one from the clock with verses from Ecclesiastes 3:1-8:
1"For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
2a time to be born, and a time to die;a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; 3a time to kill, and a time to heal;a time to break down, and a time to build up; 4a time to weep, and a time to laugh;a time to mourn, and a time to dance; 5a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; 6a time to seek, and a time to lose;a time to keep, and a time to cast away; 7a time to tear, and a time to sew;a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; 8a time to love, and a time to hate;a time for war, and a time for peace."


Or on one of the lamps with John 1:4:
In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Head on over to Doorposts, they have a great contest with lots of ideas.

1 comment:

Mrs. Dunbar said...

Did you make those tags? They are beautiful.!! What a great idea.