7/20/08

I done did read these...


Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
While in prison for conducting church services without the permission of the state John Bunyan had several visions, out of which this book was born. It is an allegory of the Christian life and our journey heavenward. I can't say what Bunyan's intentions were when he wrote the book, but I was so encouraged to keep pluggin' on in my walk with the Lord. Even though it is an allegorical book, the parallels to everyday struggles are easy to recognize and the way out of those struggles is even more clear. Focus on the Savior, he will give you what you need to get through it. There is not even a hint of "prosperity doctrine" in this book, it never says or even hints that becoming a Christian means your life is going to be easier, from beginning to end it is about the trials that come simply because you are a Christian, the trials that come from the world, and the trials that come from within our sinful selves. And from beginning to end the main character, "Christian," is delivered from his trials by provisions from the Lord. I thoroughly enjoyed the read!



The Pact by Jodi Picoult
This is the book I got in my favorite things package. Here is what the little ditty on the back has to say:
"... a riveting, timely, heartbreaking, and terrifying novel of families in anguish--and friendships ripped apart by inconceivable violence. Until the phone calls came at 3:00a on a November morning, the Gold and the Hartes, had been inseparable. It was no surprise to anyone when their teenage children, Chris and Emily, began showing signs that their relationship was moving beyond that of lifelong friends. But now seventeen-year-old Emily has been shot to death by her beloved and devoted Christ as part of an apparent suicide pact--leaving two devastated families stranded in the dark and dense pre-dawn, desperate for answers about an unthinkable act and the children they never really knew.

I never would have chosen this book for myself, it is a little too dark. Although, it is a thinking kind of book, you are always wondering what was going to happen next, and when I was done, I was analyzing the morality of it all. The opening line, riveting, timely, heartbreaking and terrifying, describes it very well. There are some very worldly elements in the book, and it wasn't an uplifting kind of read. It is a weird feeling to finish a book and enjoy it, but not necessarily want to recommend it to others. Maybe you should read it and draw your own conclusions??

The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Who doesn't love The Little House on the Prairie series? We are reading through these with the kids right now, and I love the stories as much as they do! It was such a different time, and a different life altogether, but the principles taught in the stories are timeless.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am often comforted by the Pilgrim's Progress; by Bunyan's writings in general, in fact. When I read in TPP of Mr. Fearing, who doubted that he was among the chosen of Heaven, and Mr. Despondency, who all his life was plagued by the ghosts he could not shake, and how yet both of them were brought safely home into eternal rest, it gives me hope that despite my own darkness, despite my own vileness, and despite my own fears and doubts, perhaps the Lord will have mercy and do the same for me.

"The last words of Mr. Despondency were, 'Farewell, night; welcome, day!'"